Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jobs

I wish I were on talk radio sometimes so that I could say "Good Evening Everybody Out There" and have people actually hear me. Because I say it in a very fun, welcoming voice that is very up-lifting. But since we aren't on talk radio - we will just start typing about what's in my head.
Well, we might not go into detail about my head because sometimes that is scary. :)
Lately I have been dealing with my career ... training, selling, breeding horses. I love my job, if you haven't noticed. I consider myself very blessed and I'm probably one of the happiest people on the planet when it comes to work. I'm going to school to ride horses!! How great is that? Today I was listening to my sister and a friend talk about school. They are both in college, both want to be educators... and I listened to them tonight and they didn't sound excited about their career choice. The only exciting part I heard them speak of was the possibility of teaching abroad. They were talking about classes that they have to take, that they are dreading. They were talking about classes that they took that they hated. The hassle, and the time that they are putting into their education so that they can do something that they call "a burn out job". Uh... Hello? Who wants to go into something that you know is going to burn you out eventually? Go into something you love dearly - that you enjoy - I don't want to do something that I'm going to hate three years down the road. What's the point in going to college for that? Spending all that money - wasting all that time... I don't get it. This my friends, is the reason I didn't decide to become a veterinarian. My career choice is hard. It's hard to make money in my profession. Infact my trainer took on a second job recently because the horse business just wasn't making it happen. Does that scare me? Yeah - it does. To think that one day I may not be able to afford to pay bills because my job just isn't paying... that bothers me. But I've constructed a plan. See, the people I see struggling in my profession are centered on one discipline , or one part of the equine world. I want to be a part of it all. Western, saddleseat, hunter, eventing, dressage, jumper, reining - I want to do it all. I want to breed horses on the side... and the school that I'm gonig to is going to teach me to do my own farrier/blacksmith work to save me an expense. I'm not going to limit myself to one thing, because when you do that you cut your own pay check. I'm working hard to build my pay check up. I'm taking all the lessons I can, in saddleseat, western, dressage... all of it. Because I'm not going to be lacking in business - and I'm not going to "burn out". I might be put out of commission for a few days due to being hurt on the job. Haha - but I guess every job has it's pro's and con's.
Speaking of jobs - tomorrow my job is to hold horses for the vet and farrier. So for now... I'm off.
Peace ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment