Saturday, May 23, 2009

Amused

Today I've been thoroughly entertained - it all started this morning... Like mornings should be my mother made me pancakes. If I do say so myself they were yummy. After I ate, I hit the road towards the barn. My loyal sister at my side - we started working horses the minute we got to the barn. First the beautiful arabian/saddlebred cross - then the also beautiful Mia (my thoroughbred)... then the cute little quarter horse, and last but not least Hart, also one of my thoroughbreds. Now all of these horses did things today that were frustrating and some what amusing. For instance the arabian/saddlebred cross was bad - she kept running out the gate... no matter what I did. Very frustrating. The little quarter horse was so hyper that she pranced when I wanted to walk and galloped when I wanted to lope. It's just the way she is and I have to laugh it off. But the most entertaining horse that I worked today was Hart. She is the comedian. We went for a lunge in the field. Trotting up and down hills builds good muscles. She was very lazy today - and when I wasn't paying attention she would walk down the hill and trot up the hill ... and if I asked her to do more then she would pin her ears at me and throw her butt towards me. It was very amusing for me - because number one she's a big fake. She's not going to kick me, and she isn't going to attack me with her teeth - but she wants to make me believe she's going to. If you work with horses you know how funny it is. If you don't - then you probably think that I'm an idiot.
A plus in my day was when some clients came to look at their horses that I have in training. I've had these horses a month and they weren't broke when I got them. Now they are broke and doing walk, trot, canter... their owners were very impressed. One of them was so excited she wanted to hug me - it kills me ... people send their horses to trainers and then when they see the horse under saddle they are amazed that it happened. What do these people expect? I mean I thought that my job was to get the horse going under saddle - I thought that that's what they pay me for. But according to the way these people act - it's like they don't expect me to break the horse. It makes me feel wonderful when people tell me that I'm amazing. But truth is if that were a fact - I wouldn't be going to school for intense riding lessons.
Tonight me and my dear ol' dad went to a horse show. Now, Dad isn't the type to normally want to go to horse shows where all you do is sit and watch. But tonight he did... not sure why. I saw all kinds of people that I knew - and it was so refreshing. Horse people are wonderful people to socialize with. I saw my first ever riding instructor - the lady who gave me my start. I'm so grateful for her. I was watching her show tonight and I realized that I ride a lot like she does. Of course so do some of her other students. I was talking to her and we were talking about my first mare I ever owned. Her name was "passhahnn" (pronounced Passion) - Passhahnn has a new little girl to teach the ropes of riding to. And according to my instructor she is doing a fine job. The little girl and Passhahnn took two firsts home today. I was very pleased to hear it. When I owned Passhahnn all she could seem to do is refuse jumps and throw me off. Ha - she was a fun mare... and yes we did have our good days. She was great on the flat - she just wouldn't jump. I saw another great lady who has been my friend for several years now - she is a saddlebred person and when I told her that I finally started riding saddlebreds she said "I knew you would eventually wise up". It was funny. I saw a friend who I haven't seen in years - she is a tennessee walking horse person - I used to show at the Virginia State horse show with her. It was great seeing her as well. The show was great - roadster ponies, saddlebreds, tennessee walkers, arabians - it was fun to just sit back and watch. The live organ music was a little much - but the horses made up for it. I didn't agree with the judge on a couple of the classes - but most of them I picked the winners. Being a judge would be a good paying job - but I bet it gets boring. After watching the first 20 classes I get bored. I'd rather be riding the horses. But judging would be fun in a way - for once my opinion would matter - and I LOVE picking horses apart.
You probably didn't realize that I was SOOOO involved with horses. They are my life - that's for sure.
Well, I'm off ...

No comments:

Post a Comment